Student Placement Policy
Little Crickets Day Care recognises that qualifications and training make an important contribution to the
quality of the care and education provided by nursery settings. As part of our commitment to quality, we
offer placements to students undertaking early years' qualifications and training, including those studying
for the CACHE level 2 Certificate in Nursery Practice and CACHE level 3 Diploma in Nursery Practice and
We aim to provide for students on placement with us, experiences which contribute to the
successful completion of their studies and which provide examples of quality practice in early
years care and education.
• We require students to meet the 'suitable person' requirements of Ofsted.
• We require schools placing students under the age of 17 years with the Nursery to vouch
for their good character.
• We supervise students under the age of 17 years at all times and do not allow them to have
unsupervised access to children.
• Students who are placed in our nursery on a short-term basis are not counted in our staffing
ratios. Students who are placed for longer periods - for example, a year - may be counted in our
staffing ratios provided we consider them to be competent.
• We take out employers' liability insurance and public liability insurance which covers both
trainees and voluntary helpers.
• We require students to keep to our confidentiality policy.
• We co-operate with students' tutors in order to help students to fulfil the
requirements of their course of study.
• We provide students, at the first session of their placement, with a short induction on how our
nursery is managed, how our sessions are organised and our policies and procedures. Students
will also be given a handbook and questionnaires to answer based on the pre-schools policy
• We communicate a positive message to students about the value of qualifications and training.
• We make the needs of the children paramount by not admitting students in numbers which
hinder the essential work of the nursery.
• We ensure that students placed with us are engaged in bona fide early years' training which
provides the necessary background understanding of children's development and activities.
This policy will be reviewed annually by the Day Care Manager